Last week a friend of mine, Richard Norris, posed this question on Facebook, What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you?
It only took me a moment to reply, “Never give advice unless someone asks for it, because they won’t listen unless they ask!”
Yesterday I received a phone call from a young woman who was seeking advice, and I had to SMile when I realized that my favorite quote had been turned into my reality. Someone “actually” wanted to know what it was that I had to say.
It’s interesting how God always sends hearts our way when He knows that our heart understands the hurts of those we are talking to. I learned long ago, that I can’t give advice to anyone unless I understand the “why” of what it is that I am sharing. We talked for several hours and as our phone conversation came to a close, I knew that she already knew what it was that she had to do, but sometimes we need to know that others have had to do the same things, and I believe that it’s always easier when we’ve talked to someone who made the same choices, and came out stronger because of them!
Now, in the simplicity of my sharing this Appointment with God, I wanted the young woman to know today how proud I am of her, because she could continue to do the things the world says is okay to do, but she is choosing to do the things God wants her to do so that He can give her the blessings of the life that He promises each of us.
And, as a reminder to anyone who wonders what things we should be doing each day… If we can remember to count to ten… all things are possible!
- You shall have no other gods before me.
- You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.” Exodus 20: 1-17
ONWARD TO COUNTING!